Friday, October 31, 2008

ROPES!


8:45 We met in Lehi to begin our Ropes Course Challenge. I was on staff, and chad was there for the first time as a student. We met and circled up at the beginning of the path into the ten acre woods. Cam is the main facilitator for the ropes course along with his two helpers Ken and Mark. Cam started with telling us about the land, the herd of deer that live there and the owls too. Then we got into some good stuff... He talked about perception! We will all perceive what we experience differently! And we will all have our own unique experience. Most of the morning was filled with this kind of discussion, plus a challenge with the group as a whole. Finally they all split up into three groups. And the staff were assigned to an event. Chad's group came to my event first. The challenge I was in charge of was to climb a rope ladder into a tree, and climb the tree about 40 feet to a little standing block. (6"X6") From there you leap for a ring! At the beginning of each challenge you decided or imagined what was in the ring for you. Some said "Success", others "better relationships", one said a "husband"! Climbing the tree and then letting go and simple standing freely on the block is symbolic of letting go of old patterns of living and the way things use to be. And jumping for the ring is symbolic of stepping outside your comfort zone to receive your new gift!
This isn't the only high event; known as "The Perch" is a higher often more challenging event for people. But it is usually the favorite. I am proud to say that Chad completed every event... over

coming all of the fears. He even did a trust fall where eight girls (including me) and Laine, the only boy, caught him and rocked him in our arms! sweet huh! he stood on a platform that was about shoulder high to me... so it wasn't a small fall. :)
The last two videos are of Laine Wilkins jumping for the ring... jumping for better relationships!

Toward the end of the day, we had one group that only had a couple people decide to try the event. Alan Wilkins asked if we had sent anyone up blindfolded yet. My eyes got big and I expressed how awesome that would be to experience that. (figuring I was safe being "staff" and all) Five minutes later they were strapping me into a harness and I was blindly climbing this tree! up.. up ... up... Everyone was instructed to be silent as I climbed. I didn't realize this until I was in the tree but I had a sinus infection that made me really dizzy while blindfolded. Still though, It was amazing! I got to the top and just stood! ... so free the breeze was soft and I could hear the leaves in the trees around me applauding me! I pointed straight ahead to make sure that I was jumping in the right direction of the ring. from the ground I heard "it's right in front of you" I leaped! soaring through the air... I missed the ring but I knew that I had still accomplished the challenge!.. It was still a very successful climb! I would do it again in a heartbeat... such an Amazing feeling. I challenge YOU to attend this ropes course... you will be glad you did. http://www.iwalkedonfire.com/


0 comments: