Friday, June 26, 2009

some more finds.


I found this 'friendship candleholder' at the thrift store for $4. I have always wanted a 'circle of friends' and this one holds a little tea light. lucky me.

The label was still on the bottom so I looked up the company that sold it. "Ten Thousand Villages"
I've never heard of them before, but they seem to be a big company that gathers work from many different villages and sells them. This piece was hand carved out of orange, pink, white Kisii stone, a type of soap stone found only in a small area of western Kenya.








I usually don't go into the furniture area of the thrift store; it is out in a garage, and I never seem to see anything good in there when I do go in. But today I found this coffee table and knew it had great potential. There were two exactly the same... but I just got one of them. I forgot to take pictures before I started painting though. There is a piece of glass that drops into the table over the iron work. I think it will turn out fabulous!
I'm thinking that some day I would love to open a little shop. I will refurbished items to give them style and then sell them. It will be the best store ever, especially if everyone still wants to Go Green by that time. I see 'going green' as a great way to make money without having to spend a lot.

0 comments: